Rachel Robertson, Owner
For more than a decade, Rachel has used her extensive knowledge of human kinetics and functional anatomy to help others overcome their physical limitations. Fusing the science of kinesiology and the artistry of Pilates, she acts as the go-between for clients recovering from injuries – specializing in facilitating the transition between the physiotherapist and the return to regular work, play and physical activity.
Rachel completed her Kinesiology degree in 2009 at the University of Western Ontario. While attending school she worked part-time at Pilateez.com Pilates studio where she began full-time work following graduation.
In 2009 she became a member of the Ontario Kinesiology Association, and has since then been recognized by both the College of Kinesiologists of Ontario and the British Columbia Association of Kinesiologists.
Rachel has an athletic background in figure skating (Canskate – 6 years coaching), and coaching basketball (NCCP L1 & L2) and currently spends most of her time teaching Pilates, Personal Training and working with those who are recovering from an injury through exercise. Rachel represented Team Canada for the World Kettlebell Championships in Dublin, Ireland in 2015 and in Seoul, South Korea in 2017. Rachel won Gold in 16kg Snatch and Gold in 24kg One Arm Longcycle in 2017. In 2018, Rachel won Nanaimo’s Female Athlete of the Year and was a finalist for Vancouver Island’s Top 20 Under 40 Business and Community Awards.
As Rachel says, “anyone can do it” – and she’s here to make sure you can, too!
More about Rachel:
- Honours Spec. B.A. Kin with Food and Nutrition Minor (2009)
- Professional Member of OKA – (2009 – 2014)
- Fusion Pilates Certified – Mat, Reformer, Pre/postnatal (2006- Present)
- Stott Pilates Trained (2011 – Present) – Mat, Reformer, CCB, Injuries and Special Populations
- Personal Trainer Specialist – Canadian Association of Fitness Professionals (2008 – 2015)
- National Coaching Certification Program (NCCP) – Level 1 and 2 Theory, Community Basketball Olympic Weightlight – Experience with coaching basketball and figure skating (2004 – Present)
- Emergency First Aid CPR – Level C – St. John’s (2000 – Present)
- Yoga Exercise Specialist Certified – East to West Yoga (2010-2015)
- C.O.R.E. Cycling Certified (2011 – Present)
- Core Align Trained (2013 – Present)
- Post-physiotherapy clients
- motor vehicle collisions (MVC) – can bill directly to ICBC
- hip replacement surgery
- post bypass surgery
- low back pain
- neck injuries
- sport injuries
- nutritional counseling
- Coaching basketball camps – including Steve Nash Youth Basketball League – London YMCA
- Refereed basketball games
- Canskate coached for 6 years
- Functional Movement Screen (FMS)
- Return to Work Programs
Like many Nanaimoites Shawn’s childhood involved plenty of time in the great outdoors. From skiing and competitive swimming at a young age to multi-day hikes as a teenager and now mountaineering as an adult, staying active and in touch with nature has always been a priority in his life.
After moving to Asia in 2013 to work as a Kindergarten teacher it quickly became obvious that in order to maintain his fitness and be able to continue to accomplish his alpine objectives that focusing on strength & conditioning training would be an absolute necessity. From there Shawn became engrossed in learning about how to maximize performance and minimize injury through resistance training while maintaining a healthy balance with everything else in life and most importantly still managing to get outside once in a while!
Shawn enjoyed the teacher/student dynamic and wanted to continue being an instructor but knew that it’d have to be outside of the school system and would have to connect with his love for sports and training. After repatriating back to Canada during the summer of 2016 he began actively mentoring aspiring rock climbers and running outdoor adventure programs for teens and kids in Whistler.
Most recently Shawn’s focus has been towards endurance sports. He can be found regularly running, cycling, or swimming around town in preparation for upcoming races. You can also often spot him dangling from many of Nanaimo’s local outdoor climbing areas whenever the weather is nice. Don’t be shy to ask him about local trials and spots to check out if you’re looking for a new adventure!
Shawn believes in training not just for performance but for longevity as well and giving his clients the knowledge and tools to approach their fitness in terms of ‘life-long’ and not just for getting that ‘summer’ body. Whether your goals are to participate in your first triathlon, hike the West Coast Trial, or to get stronger and move better in general Shawn can offer you an eclectic mix of training formats and styles to help get you there.
“We do not rise to the level of our hopes, we fall to the level of our training” ~ Archilochus
“Success is neither magical, nor mysterious. Success is the natural consequence of consistently applying the basic fundamentals.” ~ Jim Rohn
Check out his bio at Ballistic Strength Nanaimo.