Rachel Robertson, Owner
For more than a decade, Rachel has used her extensive knowledge of human kinetics and functional anatomy to help others overcome their physical limitations. Fusing the science of kinesiology and the artistry of Pilates, she acts as the go-between for clients recovering from injuries – specializing in facilitating the transition between the physiotherapist and the return to regular work, play and physical activity.
Rachel completed her Kinesiology degree in 2009 at the University of Western Ontario. While attending school she worked part-time at Pilateez.com Pilates studio where she began full-time work following graduation.
In 2009 she became a member of the Ontario Kinesiology Association, and has since then been recognized by both the College of Kinesiologists of Ontario and the British Columbia Association of Kinesiologists.
Rachel has an athletic background in figure skating (Canskate – 6 years coaching), and coaching basketball (NCCP L1 & L2) and currently spends most of her time teaching Pilates, Personal Training and working with those who are recovering from an injury through exercise. Rachel represented Team Canada for the World Kettlebell Championships in Dublin, Ireland in 2015 and in Seoul, South Korea in 2017. Rachel won Gold in 16kg Snatch and Gold in 24kg One Arm Longcycle in 2017. In 2018, Rachel won Nanaimo’s Female Athlete of the Year and was a finalist for Vancouver Island’s Top 20 Under 40 Business and Community Awards.
As Rachel says, “anyone can do it” – and she’s here to make sure you can, too!
More about Rachel:
- Honours Spec. B.A. Kin with Food and Nutrition Minor (2009)
- Professional Member of OKA – (2009 – 2014)
- Fusion Pilates Certified – Mat, Reformer, Pre/postnatal (2006- Present)
- Stott Pilates Trained (2011 – Present) – Mat, Reformer, CCB, Injuries and Special Populations
- Personal Trainer Specialist – Canadian Association of Fitness Professionals (2008 – 2015)
- National Coaching Certification Program (NCCP) – Level 1 and 2 Theory, Community Basketball Olympic Weightlight – Experience with coaching basketball and figure skating (2004 – Present)
- Emergency First Aid CPR – Level C – St. John’s (2000 – Present)
- Yoga Exercise Specialist Certified – East to West Yoga (2010-2015)
- C.O.R.E. Cycling Certified (2011 – Present)
- Core Align Trained (2013 – Present)
- Post-physiotherapy clients
- motor vehicle collisions (MVC) – can bill directly to ICBC
- hip replacement surgery
- post bypass surgery
- low back pain
- neck injuries
- sport injuries
- nutritional counseling
- Coaching basketball camps – including Steve Nash Youth Basketball League – London YMCA
- Refereed basketball games
- Canskate coached for 6 years
- Functional Movement Screen (FMS)
- Return to Work Programs
Solomon Macys has been a trainer since 2008. In 2012, he moved to Nanaimo to pursue his degrees in Fisheries and Aquaculture at Vancouver Island University. Realizing he missed the fitness industry he returned to personal training and started the Nanaimo Kettlebell Club in 2013. Solomon is the head coach of the Nanaimo Kettlebell Club, where he provides personal training, small group training and personalized counselling. He also is the co-founder of the Grip Strength Kettlebell Competition.
Solomon offers opportunity. He provides encouragement. He shows fairness and builds trust. He start his day with a smile with the hope it rubs off on others. He will show others the way, and for as long as he is of able mind and body he will continue to lead by example.
Check out his bio at Ballistic Strength Nanaimo.
Avrielle Koch is a Flight Attendant with WestJet and Personal Trainer in Nanaimo. In 2010 she received her Can Fit Pro Personal Training certificate. Since then she has started teaching Pilates at the Fine Balance Pilates studio. She has also instructed for Return to Form Kinesiology and Ballistic Strength, Nanaimo.
Avrielle is a member of the Nanaimo Kettlebell Club where she competes. She is finishing her 15-year career at WestJet in December to focus on personal training. She has a passion for health and fitness and wants to help others meet their health and fitness goals.
Avrielle lives on a farm in central Nanaimo with her husband Nick and their cat Gilly. She enjoys gardening and running a farm produce stand.
Bryn French is a Certified STOTT Pilates Instructor. She received her training through West Coast Pilates in Victoria, BC in 2017 and has been teaching both private and small group classes for 2 years.
Her passion for pilates is evident in her practice of Pilate for over 15 years before becoming an instructor.
She knows very well from her own personal experience the functional movement, strength and flexibility that Pilates can bring to every body.